Bed Rest

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 babyonthebrain

babyonthebrain
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hi,
I know different SIRM Drs. have different bed rest restrictions after a transfer (most 24- 48 hrs) but, here are my questions...

1. What is the reason for bed rest? Are IVF transfers more delicate than embryos that are naturally trying to implant?
2. Why is it that a 3dt and a 5dt have the same amout of "down" time. If implantation isn't thought to occur around day 7 or so wouldn't a 3dt seem to require more rest?
3. Finally, I have been reading that no bed rest may be best.(10 minutes-1 hour after transfer is all that is needed) One study said standing in a natural postion is better than lying down for a long period of time. (have you heard of this one). It mentioned that there may be air bubbles after a transfer and standing up will help to get rid of them.

Thank you all and happy holidays!!!

#2 Walid Saleh, MD

Walid Saleh, MD
  • Responders
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

Please see answers below:

1. What is the reason for bed rest? Are IVF transfers more delicate than embryos that are naturally trying to implant?

A: No reason besides some studies showing at least 1/2 hour is beneficial and human nature, of course. Afterall, people walk home after an ET.

2. Why is it that a 3dt and a 5dt have the same amout of "down" time. If implantation isn't thought to occur around day 7 or so wouldn't a 3dt seem to require more rest?
A: Excellent point which illustrates my point above.

3. Finally, I have been reading that no bed rest may be best.(10 minutes-1 hour after transfer is all that is needed) One study said standing in a natural postion is better than lying down for a long period of time. (have you heard of this one).
A: I agree with 1/2 to 1 hr. Not sure about standing with a full bladder LOL. Hope that helps.

#3 babyonthebrain

babyonthebrain
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thanks so much.   All the SIRMS Drs. advice, expertise, and understanding in and out of the office always help!!