% Normal Eggs At 43 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 TTinNC

TTinNC
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hello, hope that you had a pleasant thanksgiving.

I have a quick question .... The last IVF cycle at SIRM I had 9 embryos on day 3 and based on SIRM's test we were able to choose the best 4 for transfer.  I became pg with singleton and now have my son.  I was aged 40 (almost 41) at conception.

I turned 43 last week and we are considering one last cycle to try for a sibling.  Based on past response I would be on the LA10.

So, at age 43 (oh and we'll be cycling Feb-08 so I'll be 43.3) what % normal embryos would you expect ?  I'm not sure that I'll have enough for pgd so we would like some idea ?  I heard (not from an RE) that about 90 % of eggs are abnormal at age 43 .... Does this sound accurate ?  Not sure what our odds would be or if it's even worth it.  Donor egg is not an option for us.

Thanks a lot
T

#2 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

at 40 the percent is at best 20 and at 45 it is at best 5% so approximately  8%. Good Luck Go SIRM! :)

#3 TTinNC

TTinNC
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Dr. Rabin, bit of a long shot then !!  Makes me realise how very lucky we were the last time round ....

Had a nice consult with my RE so I guess that if there is a chance, albeit a long shot, it is worth one last go ...

Thankyou for taking the time to reply :)
T

#4 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

Consider CGH with SIRM as it can tell you whether your embryo is more likely normal and whether you want to put it back! :)

#5 TTinNC

TTinNC
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thankyou, I hadn't heard of CGH .... only the marker that we did last time plus GES scores.

Thankyou
T

#6 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

I would suggest a SIRM opinion. I would be happy to do a phone consult and discuss or you can call and make an appointment, before moving forward so you fully understand your options. Good Luck! :))

#7 TTinNC

TTinNC
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Dr Rabin,
I am actually already a SIRM patient (NY office).  CGH is something to bring up at the next appt.  We had discussed the basics(in terms of cycling again and the best protocol) and hadn't really gone into depth about additional options.  I usually don't have a lot of embryos -- the last cycle that worked was unusual for me in terms of response (ie. it was a good one !).

Thankyou again for taking the time :)
T

#8 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

You're welcome and Good Luck! :))

#9 Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

Dr Rabin, I understand from above that a 43 year old has about 8% viable eggs, but what about 43 year old blastocysts?  In other words, if a 43 year old goes through IVF and makes blasts (which are vitrified), what percentage of those blasts are likely to be viable?

#10 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

percentage may be slightly higher, but not much. Blasts can look normal, but unless we do CGH, we do not know whether they more likely are normal. Call if you want to discuss.

Edited by Douglas Rabin,MD, 26 November 2007 - 11:43 AM.

#11 Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

CGH is not an option with blasts...

Edited by Barbara, 26 November 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#12 Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*

Guest_Douglas Rabin,MD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

No with an 8 cell embryo and then allow to grow to blast to evaluate. To check your current blasts, we do not really have an option as you note. We may have CGH available in the next 6 months with a 9 hour procedure so a thaw and evaluation could be possible. But is to early to predict that ability. Stay in touch. :))